Prepare your own homemade yogurt, full of friendly cultures of living bacteria (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus Casei). These are important for good functioning of your Gastrointestinal Tract (GIT) . Your digestion depends on a healthy gut to provide nutrients to the blood, and so the rest of your body.
What will you need before you start?
- Cooking thermometer (kitchen stores)
- Milk (1L)
- Starter cultures of living bacteria (a tablespoon of white yogurt rich in friendly bacteria; white yogurt from your supermarket)
- 1 sealable container or thermos flask (of volume greater than 1L)
- 1 pot or container larger than the sealable one
5 Steps to Make It:
- Heat the litre of milk to 20 – 30 °C (not higher!).
- Put one-tenth of the warm milk into the sealed container, add the yoghurt starter and shake.
- Pour this mixture back into the rest of warmed milk and stir for abot 5 seconds.
- Pour all into the sealable container and place in the bigger pot.
- Fill the space around the sealed container with warm water (30 °C maximally) and leave for 6 hours.
NB. If you’re using a thermos flask you don’t need to put it in the pot with warm water.
And..if you end up with clotted thing instead of yogurt you probably heated it too much.
That’s it! From one tablespoon of yogurt we have a 1 L of yogurt. We have saved about $6. And, the next time you don’t need to buy a starter culture, as you can use the remaining in the fridgee from your first batch.
Add it to you cereals, fruit salads, smoothies, and you can even make dressings for salads or other meals.
I will post some recipes of my own.